Inspired by the 1984 murder of controversial shock jock Alan Berg, TALK RADIO is set in a Cleveland radio station over the course of Barry Champlain’s two-hour broadcast as he’s being scrutinized that night by producers fixated on taking the show national, and fueled as always by coffee, cocaine and Jack Daniel’s. Barry’s jousts with his unseen callers—ranging from a white supremacist to a woman obsessed with her garbage disposal—are interspersed with confrontations by his ex-deejay pal and his sometime girlfriend/producer.
About the Company: Variations Theatre Group
Variations Theatre Group, a nonprofit organization, is formed by a group of young stage professionals (all in their twenties) with the following goals and objectives:
1. To stage at least one play each season with a theme that is of interest and concern to the public (e.g. autism, post traumatic stress in veterans) and donate the profits from its production to appropriate charitable foundations.
2. To show plays of short duration at schools, hospitals, nursing homes and such other places, free of cost when the institution cannot afford it.
3. To produce American theatrical classics, giving opportunities to young actors and directors.
4. To stage theatrical works by relatively unknown contemporary American playwrights.
5. To hire and train a new generation of actors, playwrights and directors to familiarize themselves with the seminal works of modern theatre.
6. To recruit and train interns, giving preference to minority and disadvantaged applicants, by giving them stipends and hands-on work experience.
7. To have special theater festivals (or benefit events) to reflect our nation’s multicultural milieu, and to provide contemporary American playwrights the ability to showcase original work spanning gender and cultural diversity.
Variations Theatre Group believes that contributing to the community is paramount and will focus on active and dynamic participation in this area, with a separate group headed by a director to perform outreach functions. Furthermore, all the assets belonging to Variations Theatre Group will, upon its dissolution, be liquidated and the entire proceeds will be donated to the state, federal government or organized charities.
Monday, Tuesday and Thursday through Sunday evenings at 8 PM, with matinees Saturday at 2 PM through September 27th.:
Theater: Chain Theatre
Address: 21-28 45th Road
Long Island City, NY
Buy Tickets Online or Call: Ovation Tickets at 866-811-4111