The New York Avant-Garde Arts Festival features an original short-performance piece competition with artists from all over the United States of Americaand Canada. This year’s festival also includes two co-produced productions. VTG Artistic Director Rich Ferraioli said, “We are really excited to get to work with so many new and talented artists. Part of our mission is to provide an opportunity for original works to be showcased and performed. This festival is exactly that outlet!”
About the Company: Variations Theatre Group
Variations Theatre Group, a nonprofit organization, is formed by a group of young stage professionals (all in their twenties) with the following goals and objectives:
1. To stage at least one play each season with a theme that is of interest and concern to the public (e.g. autism, post traumatic stress in veterans) and donate the profits from its production to appropriate charitable foundations.
2. To show plays of short duration at schools, hospitals, nursing homes and such other places, free of cost when the institution cannot afford it.
3. To produce American theatrical classics, giving opportunities to young actors and directors.
4. To stage theatrical works by relatively unknown contemporary American playwrights.
5. To hire and train a new generation of actors, playwrights and directors to familiarize themselves with the seminal works of modern theatre.
6. To recruit and train interns, giving preference to minority and disadvantaged applicants, by giving them stipends and hands-on work experience.
7. To have special theater festivals (or benefit events) to reflect our nation’s multicultural milieu, and to provide contemporary American playwrights the ability to showcase original work spanning gender and cultural diversity.
Variations Theatre Group believes that contributing to the community is paramount and will focus on active and dynamic participation in this area, with a separate group headed by a director to perform outreach functions. Furthermore, all the assets belonging to Variations Theatre Group will, upon its dissolution, be liquidated and the entire proceeds will be donated to the state, federal government or organized charities.
1st Round: June 14th through the 17th (times vary)
Wild Card Night: June 19th @ 7:00pm
Semi-Finals: June 21st @ 7:00pm & 9:00pm
Closing Ceremony & Finals: June 23rd @ 7:00pm
Theater: Hudson Guild Theatre
Address: 441 W, 26th Street
New York, NY
Cost:$15.00, TDF Vouchers acceptable
Buy Tickets Online or Call: Variations Theatre Group at 646.