| Open: 06/20/13 Close: 06/30/13
“Journeys end in lovers meeting.”
― William Shakespeare, Twelfth Night
MISTAKEN IDENTITY ... GENDER-BENDING ... A LOVE-SICK DUKE ... BRILLIANT FOOLS ... DEBAUCHEROUS ROUGES AND LOVELY LADIES-IN-WAITING PRANKING PRUDISH STEWARDS … ALL STARTING WITH A SHIPWRECK. THAT’S JUST SHAKESPEARE IN LOVE!
Spend a summer night at
Presented by Ripple Effect Artists
Thursday – Sunday: June 20 – 23
Wednesday – Sunday: June 26 – 30
All Performances: 8:00 p.m.
FREE MATINEES: Saturdays: June 22 & 29 at 3:00 p.m.
Students and Actors Equity members (both with proper ID) are free throughout the run on a standby basis.
New York City
www.rippleeffectartists.com. Click on "Reserve Twelfth Night Tickets"
We are also on TDF: www.tdf.org
New York – Ripple Effect Artists take on Shakespeare’s raucous romantic comedy,Twelfth Night, about two shipwrecked twins – Viola and Sebastian – and the mischief they create.
Viola – reeling from a shipwreck in which she thinks her brother has been killed – dresses like her brother to survive in the strange land where she finds herself. This decision to gender-bend changes the lives of Duke Orsino, pining over Lady Olivia, who has now fallen in love with the manly-clad Viola, who is in love with Orsino, who can't love her as the her is a him but... well you get the point! This all sets in motion uproarious ruses and plots involving the dower Malvolio; the drunken Sir Toby Belch; the silly Sir Andrew Aguecheek; the fetching lady-in-waiting, Maria, and Feste, the fool. And when it turns out Sebastian is not dead… well, that’s when the really fun begins!
With each production of RIPPLE EFFECT ARTISTS (REArtists), a significant percentage of the box office proceeds are donated to a Human Rights Organization that coincides with the subject-matter of the show. Twelfth Night employs one of Shakespeare’s favorite comic conventions: switching [sexual] identity. This makes it a perfect choice for RIPPLE EFFECT ARTISTS to create a project that asks the question: In matters of love, how much does gender matter? "We wanted to put on a production that deals with gender identity and to focus on how love can rise above one's gender" exclaims Jessie Fahay, the founding director of Ripple Effect Artists and author of "What Method? The Different Ways an Actor Can Train."
Proceeds from Twelfth Night will be donated to Freedom to Marry, an organization dedicated to creating freedom for all individuals to marry across the United States.www.freedomtomarry.org. The company's goal with the messaging of the production is to significantly impact marriage rights in the state of New Jersey.
Executive Producer: Jessie Fahay.
Director: Beth Newbery.
Stage Manager: Laurie Rae Waugh.
Technical Director: Terrence Christgau.
Costume Designer: Marcus Desion
Graphic Designer: Natalie Craig.
Paul Battiato*, Kaelin Birkenhead, Corey Camperchioli*, Joseph Esbenshade, Jessie Fahay, Terrence Montgomery, Erin Nelson, Valerie O'Hara, Kyle Sallee, Robert Shryock, Christopher Spurrier, and James Stewart*
*appearing courtesy of Actors Equity Association.
Visit Us … Follow Us … Friend Us …
About the Company: Ripple Effect Artists
Ripple Effect Artists
"Each time a man stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope, and those ripples build a current which can sweep down the mightiest walls of oppression and resistance."-John F. Kennedy
REArtists believe that THEATRE can…
· INSPIRE AN AUDIENCE TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE
· EMPOWER STUDENTS TO STRIVE TO THAT SAME PRINCIPLE
REArtists believe in
· THEATRICAL PHILANTHROPY: Each of their productions donates a percentage of the proceeds to a HUMAN RIGHTS ORGANIZATION that is aligned with the theme of the production.
· INTERNATIONAL OUTREACH: Every year, we partner with an ARTS OUTREACH COMPANY in which we send a theatre teaching artist to work with students in an impoverished community.
· PROVIDING INSPIRATION to students who can create a RIPPLE EFFECT of their own! All students with an ID are admitted free into our productions. We also provide complimentary tickets to student groups along with their teachers.
· HONORING MASTERFUL PLAYWRIGHTS whose works have powerful messages. These playwrights include Robert Anderson, Clifford Odets, William Shakespeare, and more...
· HONORING ARTISTRY: Ever since its inception, all participating artists have been paid and have been shown that we honor their work.
RIPPLE EFFECT ARTISTS is dedicated to creating a connected, communicative, and compassionate world through STAGED THEATRE WORKS and GLOBAL EDUCATION. We dare our audiences to move from APATHY to ACTION, creating a RIPPLE EFFECT in the larger community and world.