|Spermalot: The Musical
| Open: 08/21/09 Close: 08/26/09
Written by David Brooks, John Cisar, Larry Mahlstedt, Kevin Spire, Amy Stanwood, Karen Swanson, Thatcher Williams. Music & Lyrics by David Brooks & Karen Swanson.
Coming to the 2009 New York International Fringe Festival, a production of The Present Company --
The Change Co-Operative presents: SPERMALOT: The Musical
The multimedia puppet musical from Iowa takes a prolific and pompous poke at American sexuality and human reproduction as a parody of the Knights of the Round Table.
The Lady of the Labia sends Sperm Arthur, King of Spermatagonia, and his Sperm Knights on their quest to create a union with the most holiest of holy grails - the Ovum, the fount of the future.
Along the way, the Sperm Knights overcome obstacles beset in their path, including: a seminal tsunami, the leap of faith from prepuce to purpose, and brothers battling brothers. Once on the other side, they must crusade against Green Knight Chlamydia, Red Knight Aunt Flo and Black (Jedi) Knight SamJack. Before their quest is complete they must pass the final test of the over-protective Cervix, of which there can be only one triumphant.
Think of it as “Avenue Q” meets “Camelot” meets Sex-Ed Class.
Is it a bit sophomoric? Sure!
Is it a bit offensive? It’s a bit more than a bit!
Is it funny? Funny? Be prepared to wet your panties!
SPERMALOT cast & crew
- Arthur, King of Spermatagonia Darit Phoung Brown
- Sperm Lancelot, the Brave Josh Rinderknecht
- Sperm Lionel, the Queer Larry Mahlstedt
- Sperm Beefeater, the Inebriated Kyle Phillips
- Sperm Expendable, the Dim David Brooks
- Ova Eggevere, The Holy Egg Amy Burgmaier
- Lady of the Labia Anita Holland
- Little Man in the Boat Anita Holland
- Aunt Flo, The Red Knight Larry Mahlstedt
- SamJack, The Black Knight Hiawatha Rutland
- Chlamydia, The Green Knight David Brooks
- Cervix, Guardian of the Ovum Anita Holland
- Puppet Master Morgan Beary
- Costumes Karen Swanson
- Choreographer Lorainna Nedved