Prisoner of Love deals with Julian, who is imprisoned as a teenager for a murder that he believes was an accidental shooting. In jail, Julian is preyed upon by tougher inmates, but soon learns the art of survival, and transforms himself into a macho man.
The play picks up from his parole and subsequent re-entry into a world that he no longer knows, and a life he is not sure he can lead. His wealthy mother, who is terminally ill, dies and Julian inherits her fortune. His three siblings step up a campaign to get a share of the money, and a harassed Julian begins to think nostalgically about his prison days when he was happy with his teenaged lover. As the days go by Julian becomes increasingly tormented and gets into ugly confrontations - and the play ends with Julian finally finding a way out of his existential predicament.
About the Company: Variations Theatre Group
Variations Theatre Group, a nonprofit organization, is formed by a group of young stage professionals (all in their twenties) with the following goals and objectives:
1. To stage at least one play each season with a theme that is of interest and concern to the public (e.g. autism, post traumatic stress in veterans) and donate the profits from its production to appropriate charitable foundations.
2. To show plays of short duration at schools, hospitals, nursing homes and such other places, free of cost when the institution cannot afford it.
3. To produce American theatrical classics, giving opportunities to young actors and directors.
4. To stage theatrical works by relatively unknown contemporary American playwrights.
5. To hire and train a new generation of actors, playwrights and directors to familiarize themselves with the seminal works of modern theatre.
6. To recruit and train interns, giving preference to minority and disadvantaged applicants, by giving them stipends and hands-on work experience.
7. To have special theater festivals (or benefit events) to reflect our nation’s multicultural milieu, and to provide contemporary American playwrights the ability to showcase original work spanning gender and cultural diversity.
Variations Theatre Group believes that contributing to the community is paramount and will focus on active and dynamic participation in this area, with a separate group headed by a director to perform outreach functions. Furthermore, all the assets belonging to Variations Theatre Group will, upon its dissolution, be liquidated and the entire proceeds will be donated to the state, federal government or organized charities.
April 5-7, 10-14, 17-21 @ 8pm with matinee performances on April 8th and 15th @ 2pm.
Theater: 45th Street Theater
Address: 354 W 45th St
New York, NY 10036
Cost:General admission $25.00; Discounts: Students/Seniors: $20.00; Theatre Professionals: $20 with a headshot/resume; Tuesda
Buy Tickets Online or Call: Variations Theatre G at 6